Setting to custom collection title in citation?

I am finding PubPub deeply impressive across the board, and interested in its journal capabilities. In terms of the auto-generated “Cite” pane on a given Pub’s “Options” popover: If a Pub appears in a Collection, the Collection name is automatically inserted as the Periodical Name.

I am proposing a Collections-level setting, either in the “Metadata” or “Details” pane, that allows for citation-specific collection title override. I might, for example, want my collection to be called “Volume 1” but want the citation title to appear as “Journal of Applied Neurochemistry”.

1 Like

Hello! Welcome to our community, thanks for using PubPub and for the kind words, and thanks for this thoughtful request.

Yup, I believe this is an oversight on our part. I think we had originally intended for journal issue collections to use the community title as the journal title for citations. Would that satisfy most of your needs here, or can you envision scenarios where you wouldn’t want the citation journal title to be the same as the community title?

I believe this only applies to journals for now, since they’re the only ‘series’ we support at the moment, but let me know if you also think it applies to conferences or books. We are eventually going to replicate this behavior for conference series and book series/sets.

Thanks Gabe!

That would indeed solve my problem—in the test community I have set up, I have used the community title to act as/refer to the journal title (History of Media Studies). So if the automated citation generation were to revert to the community title—instead of the collection title—my problem would be solved. (And there wouldn’t be a need to add the settings option I mentioned.)

It’s an interesting difference between (journal) “issue” collections and “book” collections—since the latter also seem to insert the collection title in the citation. In the case of books, this seems like the expected and appropriate behavior. Whereas for (journal) “issue” collections the expected and appropriate behavior would be to insert the community title.

My only question is about PubPub users setting up a community as, say, a publisher. “Book” collections would be cited correctly, since the auto-generated citation pulls the collection title. But if that press also intended to house a journal in the community, using “issue” collections, the community title (presumably the press name) would not match the journal name. But maybe mixing journals and books under a single “publisher” community is a misuse of the idea of a community?

Great. I’ve created an issue for this in our GitHub repo. Feel free to subscribe to it to track progress.

Yup, I think that’s exactly what we originally intended – but it got lost in the shuffle. Should be fairly straightforward to fix.

We thought along very similar lines as you, and this ended up being our conclusion as well. Hosting multiple, unrelated journals from a single community felt like a bit of an overload of the concept – and we feel reasonably comfortable saying that’s not the intended use case (although you can certainly do it if you don’t care as much about metadata). We’re planning to roll out tools for publishers that will make it easier to manage multiple communities in bulk.

1 Like

Thanks — I really appreciate the thoughtful responses, and will follow on Github. The plan for publishers to manage multiple communities for publishers is exciting too.

1 Like

I appreciate this thread :slight_smile: As communities acquire light typing, I can imagine a pulisher-community or other meta-community coming into being, which connects to and has conversations about its component or associated communities (and perhaps communities jointly supported by multiple publishers/entities!).

A meta-community might not necessarily ‘manage’ the other communities. For instance, a Twi-translation community that publishes Twi-language translations of popular journals might want to point to subcommunities each of which is [co-?]managed by the original-language publisher; or a community of reviewers that offers reviews of certain types to all other publications in a field.

2 Likes